After winning their first two game at the 45th annual Vandalia Tournament, the Flora Wolves tood a down turn in the second half of the five game event.

Even though the Wolves’ record was 2-1 at the end of pool play, a win against St. Anthony on Wednesday night would have put them in Thursdya’s championship game.  A loss bumped them to the 3rd place game.

Fall to St. Anthony by 15

The Wolves fell behind early to St. Anthony and were never able to make up the necessary ground.

The Bulldogs got the first two baskets of the game.  Trevin Smith cut it to a one point game.

St. A extended the lead to five points with a couple of more baskets.

After a free throw by Logan Moses, the Bulldogs got a pair of field goals before Smith closed the first quarter with a bucket that made it a 12-6 game after the first period.

The second quarter started bad for the Wolves as St. A extended their lead to 10 points with a field goal and two free throws.

Jordan Winka stopped the run with a field goal.  He also answered a Bulldog three point field goal with one of his own that kept the Wolves within eight points at 19-11.

The three from Winka started an eight point run for the Wolves that cut the lead down to three points.

Gaither added a pair of field goals and Smith made one of two free throws in the run.

A two and a three for St. A got the lead back up to eight points but Gaither responded with a three pointer.  The Bulldogs closed the half with another three and two that gave them a 29-19 lead at the break.

The third period started with Drew Woodrow knocking down a three ball from the right corner.  But right after, the Bulldogs scored seven straight points to take a 36-22 lead.

Chris Scott made the first of two free throws but the Bulldogs answered with a field goal.

Woodrow hit the second free throw and the Bulldogs answered back with a three pointer.  The Wolves closed the quarter with three out of four free throws and trailed 41-27 going to the fourth quarter.

After neither team scored in the first minute of the fourth quarter,  The Wolves got the first point of the period with a free throw by Gaither.

The Bulldogs got a field goal but the Wolaves came back  with buckets by Winka and Gaither that cut the lead down to 43-32.

St. Anthony stretched the lead to 18 points with a pair of field goals and three free throws.

In the closing minutes of the game, the Wolves got a three ball from Gaither, a free throw by Scott and a field goal from Moses that closed out the 53-38 win for St. Anthony.

The loss for the Wolves put them in the third place contest that was held on Thursday night against a familiar opponent.

St. Anthony 53, Flora 38

Flora (38) Smith 1-1-2-7; Carder 0-0-0-0; Woodrow 0-1-1-4; Winka 2-1-0-7; Leib 0-0-0-0; Warren 0-0-0-0; Gaither 3-2-3-15; White 0-0-0-0; Hilderbrand 0-0-0-0; Stanford 0-0-0-0; Moses 1-0-1-3; Scott 0-0-2-2; Hout 0-0-0-0; Totals 7-5-9-38.

St. Anthony (53) 16-4-9-53.

Repeat performance against Patoka

It was a less that stellar start for the Wolves in the third place game Thursday night.

The Wolves were matched up against the Patoka Warriors for the second time in the tournament.

The Warriors defeated the Wolves on Tuesday night.

Thursday night, the Wolves were having trouble getting a shot to fall in the first quarter as most of their shots were short off the rim.

On the other end of the floor, Patoka built a 13-0 lead in the first six minutes of the game.

The Wolves finally got on the board with 2:00 left in the quarter on a field goal by Logan Moses.  Owen Leib followed with a basket but the Warriors closed out the quarter with a field goal and two free throws for a 17-4 lead.

Drew Woodrow started the second quarter for the Wolves with a field goal but Patoka put up seven straight points that increased their lead to 24-6.

When the lead got to 18 points, something triggered the Wolves and they began to cut into the lead.

Winka had a pair of field goals around a bucket for the Warriors.  Trevin Smith and Jeffrey Gaither added buckets that made it a 28-14 lead for Patoka.

Trenton Brown hit a deuce, Smith drained a three pointer, Winka added a trey and Scott dropped in a field goal that got the Wolves within four points at 28-24 at the half.

The Wolves were looking to carry the second quarter momentum into the third quarter.  Gaither began the period with a three pointer that got the Wolves within a point.

Patoka came back with a deuce and a trey but the Wolves answered with three pointers by Smith and Gaither as the Wolves completed the comeback and tied the score at 33-33.

Patoka went back in front with a field goal but Gaither evened the score with a deuce of his own.

The Wolves weren’t able to get any closer to taking the lead for the remainder of the game.

Brown made it a 37-36 lead for the Warriors by making one of two free throws.

The Warriors stretched their lead to five points with a deuce and two free throws to finish off the third quarter with a 41-36 lead.

It became an 6-0 run for the Warriors at the start of the fourth quarter with a field goal.

Brown cut the lead in half with a three point play but the Warriors connected on a pair of free throws.

The Wolves were able to get the deficit down to three points as Gaither and Brown hit field goals.

After a bucket by Brown got the lead back to three points, the Warriors scored six straight points that got the lead up to nine  at 55-46.

On the third straight basket for the Warriors, one of their players delivered an elbow to a Wolf and was called for a technical foul with 1:55 to go in the game.

Coach Leib sent Smith to the free throw line to shoot the technical shots.  He missed the first but made the second and Patoka responded with a field goal after a Flora turnover that gave them a 10 point lead.

Brown got it back to a seven point game with a three pointer from the right wing.

The Warriors hit a pair of free throws on a foul called on Scott.  Smith connnected on a field goal on the next possession.

The Warriors got a field goal to fall and the scoring was closed out with a free throw by Smith as the Warriors claimed third place with a 61-53 win over the Wolves.

After missing the St. Anthony game with an illness, Trenton Brown led the Wolves with 14 points.  Smith and Gaither each had 12 points.  Patoka was led by Jared Cain with 43 points.  

Cain led all scorers in the tournament with 156 points.  Gaither had 77 points in the tournament, which was the sixth highest total.

Smith and Gaither were named to the tournament’s All-Tournament team.

Vandalia Tournament

3rd Place Game

Patoka 61, Flora 53

Flora (53) Smith 2-2-2-12; Carder 0-0-0-0; Woodrow 1-0-0-2; Winka 1-1-0-5; Brown 3-2-2-14; Leib 1-0-0-2; Gaither 4-2-0-14; Moses 1-0-0-2; Scott 1-0-0-2; Totals 14-7-4-53.

Patoka (61) 22-2-11-61.